[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/viewtopic.php on line 1644: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/viewtopic.php on line 1644: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4794: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4796: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4797: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4798: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
www.ColoradoClassicBroncos.com - View topic - gearing ?
It is currently Tue Apr 30, 2024 3:47 pm

Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ] 
 gearing ? 
VENDOR
VENDOR

Post gearing ?
So i have a 66 that I am in the process of converting over to a 302. It will have the stock V8, TC and 3spd trans. I'm running 33" tires and I currently have 4:10's in dana 30 and small bearing 9". I'd like to have comfortable highway speeds and know that's not possible with the stock 3spd and 4:10's and 33's. Crazy rock crawling is not in the future of this ride but will be on the mild/moderate trails some. So my question is what gears should I be looking to run as I am staying stock V8, TC and Trans for now and keeping the 33's? I do have a 76 Dana 44 with discs that i will be upgrading to and it has 3:56 gear ratio if i remember correctly. What do you all think? Throw the Dana 44 in and change the rear gears to match or what?

Mon Aug 12, 2013 3:55 pm
Profile WWW

Post Re: gearing ?
keep the 4.10's for 33's.

74 Ranger EFI351w, 4r70w, ARB 5.13 9in, ARB 5.13D44, and a bunch of other goodies. Best of all the family memories.

04 Mustang Cobra, KenneBell 2.2 feeding a lot of boost on E85. Tire shredding machine

New project: 77 Bronco Ranger, body work and more body work.

Very little left of a 72 durango tan explorer sport

Mon Aug 12, 2013 3:58 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

3.50 will be a little tall for 33's. OK for street use, may be a little sluggish. I'm running 35's with 4.10s and it's OK, but I wouldn't mind 4.56. I guess it depends on how you define "comfortable highway speeds." 4.10s and 33's will do 65 pretty comfortably.

Mon Aug 12, 2013 5:50 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

410s w 33's are great with a 302, puts u in a usable power band both on road and off. I ran that gearing & tire combo for 3 years.

Mon Aug 12, 2013 5:56 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

I ran 4.10s w/33's for 15 years (w/stock 3 speed & NP435). Its a good match. Lots of available power at highway speeds. Since your 3 speed doesn't have a real low 1st gear, the lower 4.10s will help if you go out and do a little wheelin'.

I'm running 3.50s & 33's now and its ok. It wouldn't be ok offroad, if I didn't have the super low 1st gear in my NP435. The 3.50's run about 500 rpm less on the highway than the 4.10s. So its a little easier on the gas mileage, but less giddyup when you punch it on the highway.

Mon Aug 12, 2013 7:01 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

I run 33" tires and 3.5 gears and it is kind of doggy on the hiway and a little too high when wheelin'.

I am planning to go with lower gears (4.86 or 5.33) since I swapped the C4 for a 4R70W. This will give me really low crawl ratio (so I don't have to constantly be on the brakes) when wheelin' and get the motor at the desired RPM (2300 - 2500) when on the freeway in OD.

Try messing around with this to see what might work for you.

http://www.grimmjeeper.com/gears.html

1977 Sport, 351w OBDII EFI motor, 4R70W auto, 4:88 gears, ARB lockers, 3.5" suspension, 33" tires.

Mon Aug 12, 2013 8:59 pm
VENDOR
VENDOR

Thanks for the input everyone! Guess ill run the 4:10's a while and decide if they are a fit before swapping the gears.
At some point I'd like to swap the d44 with disks in but will probably go with different gear ratio.
On a really cool note I opened up my engine today to put new gaskets etc. and low and behold look what I found! image.jpg
And I only thought the top end was from a 351.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Mon Aug 12, 2013 11:12 pm
Profile WWW
VENDOR
VENDOR

Another question: I'd like to get the disc brake Dana 44 under the bronco sooner rather than later. I need to swap gears, any ideas on cost to put 4:10 gears in and cost to set up? I'd like to get power brakes and disk before the bronco is back on the road.

Tue Sep 03, 2013 10:17 pm
Profile WWW
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

I'd rec. buying Justin's complete 4.10 ford disc brake'd d44

75' bronco, 302, carb'd for now, i'm gathering parts for efi, 3g alternator, saginaw pump, 4x4x2 box, fw hp44, fw 9", N.P. 435 w/ gearbanger shifter, twin stick'd dana 20, 2" BL, 5.5" wildhorses lift, and 35" km2's

Tue Sep 03, 2013 10:36 pm
VENDOR
VENDOR

That would be nice but I already have a db Dana 44 just need the gears swapped. Sorry forgot to mention that part. Im sure selling mine and buying his would be cheaper in the long run. Pondering the suggestion thanks!

Tue Sep 03, 2013 10:58 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 10 posts ]