[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/viewtopic.php on line 1644: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/viewtopic.php on line 1644: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4794: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4796: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4797: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4798: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
www.ColoradoClassicBroncos.com - View topic - Newbie needs coach
It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 11:19 am

Reply to topic  [ 11 posts ] 
 Newbie needs coach 
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Post Newbie needs coach
Anyone out there want to help a newbie replace a front axle seal in trade for beer and burgers?

Thu Aug 29, 2013 8:02 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Post Re: Newbie needs coach
Where are you located?

Thu Aug 29, 2013 8:12 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Downtown Littleton

Thu Aug 29, 2013 8:53 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Okay, you are about thirty minutes from me. I would not mind helping. I will be busy this weekend finishing up my dana 20 build. Hopefully I will finish it by Monday and will be open next weekend. When were you thinking of tackling this?

Just curious, did you make sure you don't have a blocked vent, that can cause your axle's to leak.

Thu Aug 29, 2013 9:20 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

I actually haven't noticed a leak in particular, but I've had this subtle "clank clank clank" when driving. It stops when I apply the brakes. A friend who knows more than I (I'm a newbie, remember) thinks it's a worn out axle seal. The weekend after next would work for me!

Thu Aug 29, 2013 9:22 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Last edited by Geologist on Fri Aug 30, 2013 6:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

Thu Aug 29, 2013 9:41 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Well just because I didn't notice a leak doesn't mean it wasn't leaking. I didn't really check for any leaking and I have been parking it on the street, not my garage, so it's not as obvious as it could have been. I notice the clank at low speeds, but I figure that's just because I can hear it better going slow.

The u-joints look good to me. But I could be wrong on that, too.

Thu Aug 29, 2013 9:47 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Okay. Well, hopefully I can finish up my bronco this weekend. I will definitely help if I can.

Thu Aug 29, 2013 10:22 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

thanks a ton! I'll PM you my contact info.

Thu Aug 29, 2013 10:39 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

I agree that it is highly unlikely that a worn seal would cause any noise.

I am assuming you have a Dana 44 front axle ?

If so, the seal is inside the diff housing but you have to take the axles out to replace it.

There isn't a seal at the outer end of the axle tube but there is a dust / mud shield attached to the axle. It is designed to keep "stuff" from entering the axle tube. If the axle seal is indeed worn and leaking, the leaking oil rarely makes it out to the end of the axle tube as some of that "stuff" gets past the dust / mud shield and absorbs the leaking gear oil.

Also, assuming you are in 2WD with the front hubs disengaged, those front axles shouldn't be rotating which means their u-joints wouldn't be clunking. Same with front driveshaft.

I would start by jacking the front wheels off the ground and grabbing the tire to see if there is any slop in the front wheel bearings or balljoints.

1977 Sport, 351w OBDII EFI motor, 4R70W auto, 4:88 gears, ARB lockers, 3.5" suspension, 33" tires.

Thu Aug 29, 2013 4:57 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

I'll add that if the noise stops when you apply the brakes then you may want to check them out as well.

Thu Aug 29, 2013 9:40 pm
Reply to topic   [ 11 posts ]