[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/viewtopic.php on line 1644: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/viewtopic.php on line 1644: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4794: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4796: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4797: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4798: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
www.ColoradoClassicBroncos.com - View topic - Thoughts on gas tanks
It is currently Sat May 04, 2024 6:17 am

Reply to topic  [ 61 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Thoughts on gas tanks 
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Post Thoughts on gas tanks
Well, I've wasted a bunch of time, and money, trying to restore a gas tank using the POR15 kit, with poor results.

Here is my situation, I need to get a new gas tank. I'm running EFI with a stock tank and external pumps. I will be installing a new dash with new gauges soon (hopefully). The new gauges use a fuel sending unit with a different ohm range than the Bronco's sending unit.

Option 1: Get a new or used stock tank, cut a new hole in the top, weld in the 5 hole sending unit ring, clean and install the tank.
Pros:clearance
Cons: low volume, customization time for aftermarket sending unit, still running external pumps & accumulator (not sure this is really a con)

Option 2: Get a 23 gallon tank from a Bronco vendor, with an internal EFI pump. It was recommended that BCB's tank has a better mounting system than WH. But looking at the web sites, the WH "Sherman Tank" has what appears to be the same mounting system as BCB's. Anyone have any input on the different tanks? I'm all ears.
Pros: volume, already set up for aftermarket sending unit, internal EFI pump (not sure this is a pro)
Con: not in stock at BCB till next week, COST, clearance

I don't really want a body lift, and I'm worried about how low the bigger tank will sit. I may end up with 1" BL, but not more. How much lower does the larger tank sit than a stock tank?

I've considered moving my rear axle back a few inches. I know the up travel would have to be limited to avoid damaging the rear tank. Would this even be possible if I went to a larger volume gas tank?

Wed Sep 25, 2013 4:47 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Post Re: Thoughts on gas tanks
Aftet reading horror stories on Welding Web, i wouldn't weld on a tank that has had fuel in it, even if washed and aired out. Horror stories about them catching fire or blowing up, even after being left out for long periods of time. If you really wanted to weld a used one, you might be able to backpurge it with argon or some other inert gas while welding. Re: tanks, I think the BC and WH tanks are the same. I'd personally do the 23 gallon tank. I've never hit mine, which surprises me. One option would be to cut the floor of the bed area and bump the tank up an inch or so. You wouldn't lose much in the bed and, combined with a 1" BL, you'd be around stock clearance. Not sure about the BC tanks, but on my 23 gallon tank I _might_ be able to relocate the axle rearward an inch. I've contemplated clearancing (probably with a welder, possibly with a BFH) a new 23 gallon tank to fit better.

Wed Sep 25, 2013 5:16 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

I am famous for my refusal to consider a body lift.

I have a BC 23 gallon tank with their skid plate which is heavy duty. Have field tested it once. smokin

I think there are several vendors selling the BC tank although they dont advertise it, Bronco Hut comes to mind.

1977 Sport, 351w OBDII EFI motor, 4R70W auto, 4:88 gears, ARB lockers, 3.5" suspension, 33" tires.

Wed Sep 25, 2013 5:56 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Damn it Justin, now you've got me thinking of cutting up a new $500 gas tank before even installing it. Honestly if I go with the 23 gallon tank, I'll probably stop thinking about moving my axle back more than 1". I am probably going to go with a 4 speed Atlas and a few extra inches of driveline would be helpful, but apparently not necessary. I don't know what an axle could be set back with a stock tank, maybe not much, and I wouldn't get as much as I think.

Rox, you and I are similar minded on the body lift. I REALLY don't want one, but..... Atlas, ZF, and now 23 gallon tank. I think I'm fighting a loosing battle against the body lift. I have given thought to sectioning the floor and tunnel cover and adding an inch or two in height, but really why? My truck needs new body bushings & hardware (bushings are original w/several broken mounting bolts) anyways, and it would be a good time to try to push my A pillar back where it belongs, and correct *some* of my body alignment issues.

Wed Sep 25, 2013 6:25 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

I forgot to mention that I have moved my axle back an inch without any clearance issues to the BC tank.

1977 Sport, 351w OBDII EFI motor, 4R70W auto, 4:88 gears, ARB lockers, 3.5" suspension, 33" tires.

Wed Sep 25, 2013 6:30 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Give me a call sometime, I have my old tank you could look at, I did put the bigger tank in mine ( they said "sure the original skid plate would still cover it"...but it's not perfect). It's going to work for me I think. The old one still has a little gas in it and I've never checked for rust. As for welding or screwing around with torches on any old tank, I can tell you some interesting stories from my job, 15years at Flight For Life! You would not believe what people do to themselves! Pm me for my cell. Peter

Wed Sep 25, 2013 8:21 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Thanks Peter,

Working on a used tank seems to meet with universal disapproval, on the Bronco forums.

Funny, on the HAMB hot rod forum, they are very cavalier about it. "Fill it with exhaust, and weld away. What are you some kind of pu$$y?" I might have gotten away with the first one I did, but I think it was empty for years.

I have considered buying a new one and adding the sending unit to it before using it. But all things considered, I think I'm going with a new larger tank. I'm probably making more out of the clearance issue than necessary. Its hard being in Gunnison, I can't check out many mods in person, so I have no perspective on how the bigger tank fits.

Plus, I could keep the side Aux tank for a while and have 30+ gallons of gas plus a 6 gallon can on the back, that would be awesome. I wouldn't have to come back to town to fill up for a full hunting season.

Rox, what external fuel filter are you using with your tank? I have to return a few items to Summit and will probably be ordering the fuel pump you suggested, and a few other items.

Wed Sep 25, 2013 8:43 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Would you like to see some pictures of the 23 gal on mine with the mis-fitting skid plate? Peter

Wed Sep 25, 2013 9:39 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

If you have pics handy that would be great. If not don't worry about it.

Thanks
Chad

Wed Sep 25, 2013 11:27 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

We installed a 2" BL on Drew's rig so the hood, even with a cowl induction scoop, would close. So we thought we could at least take advantage of that lift and tuck his 23 gal tank up but you can not. It hits the cross-member at the rear of the truck. Now we do not really know where his came from, or if it is the same as the new ones or not, but I would think so. It worked out for us as the pump and sending units lines are routed through the top of the tank.

On another note - he has managed to bash damn near everything underneath, on the side of and yes - even on top of, his rig at some point, but amazingly not his tank... And yes - a custom skid plate is in the works - it was before I ever wrote that sentence...

If you are the smartest person in the room -
You are in the wrong room

Thu Sep 26, 2013 5:48 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

I'll add my $.02 here. I put a 23 gallon tank in my last Bronco and hated it for any semi difficult trails. I hit that thing on every rock out there it seemed! I think I am scarred from it! I will never run one that big again. Back then those were mild trails compared to what I like to run now. I have caved in 2 stock tanks before building a super beefy one over the stock tank. I have hit that skidplate multiple times already. I will never even consider a larger tank. Now I realize I like to run harder trails than most but if you're going to go for an Atlas you will likely want to run some of the harder trails out there as well, otherwise why do you really need an Atlas? It sounds like you're convinced either way, just figured extra input is never a bad thing.

Thu Sep 26, 2013 6:31 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Thu Sep 26, 2013 7:57 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Do you have pics of your super beefy skid plate?

Thu Sep 26, 2013 8:27 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Chad - I have a 23 gallon, well with the dents, it's like 21 now, and moved my rear axle back the 1". I would like to go back further, but it won't be easy with that tank. I fear than I am in for a custom tank when the time comes. But I really don't want to give up my capacity either. That's not much help, I know, but I'd like a tank that utilizes the area between the frame rails and below the body and also extends towards the front on either side. That could lead to transfer issues tho?? I could be happy with say 18ish gallons, but I don't want to go much smaller than that. maybe a similar design to BC's, but shallower and a radius cut out for the rear axle with a smaller tank in the aux location and a transfer pump.

Thu Sep 26, 2013 10:09 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

What about just building your own? I may go down this road when the time comes. You've got the skills to do it. How sweet would a custom tank be? I'm thinking 1/4" bottom plate with .120 wall sides and 16 gauge top. BC's mounting setup wouldn't be hard to mirror. The hardest part would probably the internal baffling.

Thu Sep 26, 2013 10:32 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Thu Sep 26, 2013 11:27 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

I just spoke to Aero tanks and will be placing an order with them soon. For an extra $30 they will build the tank to any depth I choose, and send the brackets separate from the tank, so they can be welded on where I choose. I'll probably weld them on for a future 1" body lift, then make spacers to fill the gap, until I add the body lift.

I need to go out and put my stock tank back in and take some measurements of how I want my new tank to fit.

Can someone tell me how deep the 23 gallon tank is, overall so I can use that to compare to the stock tank, and pick a happy medium.

Thu Sep 26, 2013 11:42 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Thu Sep 26, 2013 11:44 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Thu Sep 26, 2013 1:07 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Thanks Justin, I just called Aero and got their dimensions. My receiver hitch location was worrying me too, so I wanted to see how deep (front to back) their tanks was. It sounds like it will fit without bumper/hitch relocation, that is good news.

Stock tank is 10" tall (top to bottom)

Their tank is 14.5" tall (top to bottom), 22" wide x 21" (front to rear)

By my calculations (21.75"x20.75 interior dimensions) = 451.3 cu inches/ 1" depth (top/bottom)

@ 231 cu in/gal x 5 gallons = 1155 cu in/451.3 = 2.559 inches

So an 18 gallon tank would be about 12" tall.

Or a stock height tank @ 10" tall would be about 14.2 gallons.

What do you guys think the "perfect" combo of height/capacity is? I'd love to hear opinions.

I think I'm going to order it at 12" tall, for some extra cap without full depth. Need to think about it a while. Splitting hairs.

Thu Sep 26, 2013 2:01 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

If you think you'll do a BL, 12" would have you very close to stock clearance once it's tucked up out of the way.

Thu Sep 26, 2013 3:28 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

I went ahead and ordered mine at 12" deep. One thing not clear from the web site, if you want it set up for the internal EFI pump, there is an extra $89 charge. He said I could just add a pump with filter sock straight to the tank. I also got a skid plate made for it. Shipping is steep, but I'm sure shipping from WH & BCB would be similar. Very easy to deal with, and seemed happy to work with me. He gave me stock specs and was very helpfull answering my questions. Should be at my door 7-10 business days.

Thu Sep 26, 2013 3:57 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Chad - That looks like the winner. But if I were you, I'd set it up for a 2" BL. You can always run a spacer if needed, but you'll want to clock that future Atlas flat and that impedes on the body enough with a 2" BL. And we all know welding on a tank that has had fuel in it is a no go.

I am excited to hear what you think! Sorry to hear that I have muddied the waters for you. I LOVE the capacity, but I do not like how exposed it is. I am lucky it is not leaking. And if I plan to move the rear axle back, I'd got to re-design it all. So I am in a holding pattern right now.

Fri Sep 27, 2013 12:26 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

It wouldn't hurt to set it up for 2" bl. I have studied the pics of your Atlas swap and know you are right about clocking it flat. I might try to design an adjustable mount like the BCB/WH tanks. But I might just weld things on with a big spacer to make up for the future body lift.

I appreciate everyone's input here, and on my CB.com thread. It really made me think about what I was doing, and that both options; stock & 23 gallon tanks had drawbacks. I'm glad I took the extra time & effort to see if a middle ground tank could be made. An 18 gallon tank seems to be a good compromise, height-wise, but moving the axle back more than 1" still won't be an option. I think I'm still going to plan on running my Aux tank as a storage/transfer tank. I need the capacity, due to where I live and travel, and general lack of available gas stations. Viper posted up a quick "how to" turn your 8 gallon Aux tank into a 10? or 12? gallon tank, pretty easily. So with the extra 5 gallons in the main & a few extra in the aux tank, I'll get some good range.

I need to decide if the budget can handle adding the intank pump right now, or wait till later. I'll have to swap sending units when I redo my dash, so I might hold off on the new pump till then. The guy at Aerotanks told me I could continue running my exterior pumps if I choose. I might cut a hole in the bed floor and make a cover so swapping pumps & sending units won't involve dropping the tank.

Fri Sep 27, 2013 8:11 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

i think you will be fine with that capacity as main and using the aux to supplement it.. its kind of nice knowing you have that extra 9 - 10 gallons in the backcountry and you could just setup it up to transfer with the switch on the dash (if you haven't already) which is easy compared to the mess of hoses and filter and pumps needed otherwise.. also if you do this put a one way valve after the transfer pump :)

Fri Sep 27, 2013 9:03 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

I have planned to set my aux tank up as a transfer tank since I did my EFI, but haven't gotten around to it. Lol. So I have been driving around on a 12 gallon main tank only, for 2 years.

Can you recommend a check valve for the transfer line? I haven't seen one.

Sent from my C771 using Tapatalk 2

Fri Sep 27, 2013 12:18 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

i got mine from Grainger, its barbed on both ends and is some kind of thick plastic (nylon?), I believe it was $5 or so..

similar to this one, but i think i found a 3/8 one..

Fri Sep 27, 2013 1:56 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Cool thanks, I didn't find anything like that in the "fuel" sections at Summit. The nylon is ok with the gas?

Fri Sep 27, 2013 3:03 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

so far so good.. one year now

Fri Sep 27, 2013 3:48 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

I know a ton of people have the BCB tank and the mounts on mine haven't failed but something about them scare me. I've been thinking of tack welding them for extra insurance.

My Personal Website -

Sun Sep 29, 2013 6:10 pm
Reply to topic   [ 61 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next