[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/viewtopic.php on line 1644: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/viewtopic.php on line 1644: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4794: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4796: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4797: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4798: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
www.ColoradoClassicBroncos.com - View topic - Running lights and dash lights cutting out
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:59 pm

Reply to topic  [ 14 posts ] 
 Running lights and dash lights cutting out 
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Post Running lights and dash lights cutting out
Ok, electron whisperers, need some help

I noticed that my dash lights and running lights have started to turn off intermittently.

They come right back on.

Seems like a loose connection but I haven't found anything obvious.

- I installed headlight relay a couple years ago
- I recently swapped old turn signal lights / grill running lights for the older style which doesn't include a ground wire (other style does)
- I also installed and hooked up the horn when I swapped the turn signals

Any and all advice appreciated

1977 Sport, 351w OBDII EFI motor, 4R70W auto, 4:88 gears, ARB lockers, 3.5" suspension, 33" tires.

Mon Sep 01, 2014 11:09 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Post Running lights and dash lights cutting out
Check to make sure the ground points for the turn signal housings are clean. Under dash grounds to be tight and clean. Also it might not hurt to run a ground strap from the body to the frame and frame to engine to make sure you have excellent grounds throughout the truck.

On a side note did you have to reverse the connections on your turn signal conversion? I had to when I did mine because the turn signal was powering the running lights and the running lights were powering the turn signal filament.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

75' bronco, 302, carb'd for now, i'm gathering parts for efi, 3g alternator, saginaw pump, 4x4x2 box, fw hp44, fw 9", N.P. 435 w/ gearbanger shifter, twin stick'd dana 20, 2" BL, 5.5" wildhorses lift, and 35" km2's

Mon Sep 01, 2014 12:12 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Post Re: Running lights and dash lights cutting out
I'm with CO75Bronc on the ground check, the 3 way ground is what we did to TFB's to confirm he didn't have problems and I believe most factory trucks run that setup. Have you looked closely at your headlight switch lately, the dash lights are powered by that silly wound (spring like) wire on the back side of the switch.

Mon Sep 01, 2014 1:20 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

1977 Sport, 351w OBDII EFI motor, 4R70W auto, 4:88 gears, ARB lockers, 3.5" suspension, 33" tires.

Mon Sep 01, 2014 1:26 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Turn signal is the brightest so if it is you're good, it wouldn't cause light cutout just the turn signals would be dim and running lights bright, just wanted to make sure. And I agree also with kinder that you should check the headlight switch as that could cause the interior lighting/ cluster lights to cut out. Running lights sound like a poor connection/ ground maybe a fuse box connection too

75' bronco, 302, carb'd for now, i'm gathering parts for efi, 3g alternator, saginaw pump, 4x4x2 box, fw hp44, fw 9", N.P. 435 w/ gearbanger shifter, twin stick'd dana 20, 2" BL, 5.5" wildhorses lift, and 35" km2's

Mon Sep 01, 2014 2:33 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Looks like I need to reverse the connections.

I will check grounds again and look at light switch.

Mon Sep 01, 2014 2:44 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Running lights and dash lights are different circuits. Problem is at the switch.

Mon Sep 01, 2014 2:58 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

I agree with viper replace the light switch and your problem should be gone

Mon Sep 01, 2014 4:43 pm
Profile WWW
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Have you been to the optometrist ? That's the doctor that checks your eyes...not your a$$. Your Bronco is fine.

Mon Sep 01, 2014 8:53 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Replaced the light switch this afternoon. That is tricky getting the little adapter and the light switch behind the dash to line up with the socket so you can thread in the retaining nut from the front.

Also switched the wiring on the new turn signals so they were correct.

Thanks for the tech support guys !

Sat Sep 06, 2014 6:13 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Awesome! Glad to hear it's fixed

Sun Sep 07, 2014 10:15 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

I drove home from docono last night and it didn't mess a beat.

I might be imagining things because I don't drive it at night much, but it seemed like the dash lights were a little brighter than normal which is good

Sun Sep 07, 2014 10:50 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Makes sense less resistance better currant flow better potential.

Sun Sep 07, 2014 3:12 pm
Profile WWW
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Sun Sep 07, 2014 5:02 pm
Reply to topic   [ 14 posts ]