[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/viewtopic.php on line 1644: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/viewtopic.php on line 1644: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4794: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4796: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4797: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4798: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
www.ColoradoClassicBroncos.com - View topic - fan replacement
It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 3:29 am

Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 
 fan replacement 
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Post fan replacement
We were going to head out for a nice evening at the local drive in. Made it about a mile and a half from the house and the throttle get stuck, engine revs, and then there is a loud bang and a puff of smoke right as I'm getting off the road and shutting her down. Open the hood and it looks like a plug wire managed to move and wedge itself in the spring on the throttle return and then the fan got into my brand new shroud. The bang was the better part of one fan blade hitting the underside of the hood and puff was just dust that had accumulated on the underside of the hood. Dislodged the plug wire, made sure the throttle would close and drove it back home - slowly since the fan now has a balance issue, go figure.

We ended up swapping cars and heading out again, met some friends and saw Insurgent. Movie wasn't good but we had fun anyway.

So the question is, do I just pick up a new flex fan and fix the cut in the shroud or should I go electric? If I go electric, should I wire directly to a keyed fuse block or control with a temperature switch?

Sat Mar 21, 2015 10:30 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Post Re: fan replacement
I assume you are running v-belts, not serpentine.

If you don't want to do electric, there is a fairly cheap clutch fan set up you can add. Check this out:
http://classicbroncos.com/forums/showthread.php?t=81601

I've been running it since I went EFI, works great.

Flex fans are fine for highway driving, but not good for slower driving like trail running or rock crawling.

Sat Mar 21, 2015 10:43 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Yep, v-belts. I dig the thought of better low speed cooling. Thanks!

Do electric fans work better? I was thinking electric only because modern cars all seem to have gone that way. No parasitic drain on engine power that way either but not sure on the downside.

Sat Mar 21, 2015 10:59 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Sun Mar 22, 2015 12:40 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Thanks everyone. Sounds like a new new fixed pitch fan is in my future.

Tue Mar 24, 2015 6:25 am

I have a 7blade fixed fan on my bronco. It works extremely well. It is a little noisey with higher rpm but for the amount of air it moves I'll take the noise.

74 Ranger EFI351w, 4r70w, ARB 5.13 9in, ARB 5.13D44, and a bunch of other goodies. Best of all the family memories.

04 Mustang Cobra, KenneBell 2.2 feeding a lot of boost on E85. Tire shredding machine

New project: 77 Bronco Ranger, body work and more body work.

Very little left of a 72 durango tan explorer sport

Tue Mar 24, 2015 6:50 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Tue Mar 24, 2015 7:20 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Thu Apr 02, 2015 8:35 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

That sucks. I didn't know there were 2 different water pumps.

I have the rigid fan I'll sell for $20. I ran it for years before switching to the clutch fan.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Thu Apr 02, 2015 9:50 pm
Reply to topic   [ 9 posts ]