[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/viewtopic.php on line 1644: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/viewtopic.php on line 1644: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4794: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4796: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4797: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4798: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
www.ColoradoClassicBroncos.com - View topic - Which on-board extinguisher system?
It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 3:31 pm

Reply to topic  [ 25 posts ] 
 Which on-board extinguisher system? 
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Post Which on-board extinguisher system?
I'm wondering what type of extinguisher is best for on-board the Bronco. Also, I'd like to be able to attach it to the roll cage most likely right behind the driver seat.

Am I being ultra paranoid though that with the top off, anyone could just steal it? I know these things aren't cheap and locking it in doesn't give exceptionally quick access to it.

Anyone have a "better" solution?

Mon Apr 27, 2015 11:24 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Post Re: Which on-board extinguisher system?
Mine is just hanging on the cage with a plastic quick release buckle. Anybody could walk off with it but nobody ever has.

Mon Apr 27, 2015 4:37 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Mine is mounted under my legs where the old manual tank selector would be. Hard to see. Easy to reach hasn't been in the way. Can't remember what extinguisher I have but it supposed to be a good one.

Mon Apr 27, 2015 9:30 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

So I've read that the HalGuard extinguishers are the best but very expensive. My other question is how often do you really need to charge them? I've read every 12 months but that sounds pricey.

I've thought of putting it in the roll bar above the seats right in the middle facing forwards so it's not really seen with a bikini top.

Mon Apr 27, 2015 9:39 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Depends how you mount it. That sounds like a good thing to whack your head on. I'm planning to put mine on the roll bar behind the driver's seat.

Mon Apr 27, 2015 10:22 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Mon Apr 27, 2015 10:26 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

You'd be amazed at how much people move around in a wreck. I've cared for enough hospice patients with closed head injuries-not how I want myself or any of my friends to go out. At some point I'm going to redo my cage so that there's more head clearance. Trei, that's one of the things I really like about your cage design. The other place mine might get mounted is the back of my console so that it's within reach.

Mon Apr 27, 2015 10:48 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

This plus this mount so that its tucked up even with the roll bar.

Mon Apr 27, 2015 10:54 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Gotcha, that works. What mount is that? I like it.

Mon Apr 27, 2015 11:56 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

This one is not mine, but I like it enough that I will probably do something like it:

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Tue Apr 28, 2015 12:45 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

My buddy makes these:
https://ors4x4.com/product/black-quick- ... her-mount/

Here's where mine is at. Difficult to reach it from the seat and pretty redneck, but it's worked.

There are certainly better extinguishers out there, but I don't recall what the most economical is.

Tue Apr 28, 2015 1:31 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

I'm running a similar set up to JD, but one in each upright. Both are cheapos from the parts store. Both can literally be torn out of the plastic keepers if needed.

Last year in Denver, while participating in a class, we brought in the oldest extinguishers we could find and tested them. Many of those brought in were 20+ years old. One was probably made in the very early 70's according to the markings on it. Everyone that we tested worked without a problem. The 70's model had been stored in an elderly man's pick up since the day he bought it.

1972 Sport, 302, 3 speed with old school Duff floor shifter, T shift Dana 20 with JB Fab twin stick, 4.11 gears with Trac-loc, Lincoln hydroboost, Chevy disc conversion, WH gas lift gate shock kit, 33" Duratrac tires on slots and about 2.5" of lift, Stroppe installed: bumper braces, dual shocks on all four corners, GM power steering, trans cooler mount, auto shift column, rollbar.

The Terrible One
1972 Sport uncut, 302, C4 with 1974 column , T shift Dana 20, 3.50 gears w/ limited slip, 1966 U13 Roadster kick panel, and factory power steering.

1973 Stroppe Baja project

Tue Apr 28, 2015 6:49 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Tue Apr 28, 2015 7:19 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Tue Apr 28, 2015 7:23 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Tue Apr 28, 2015 12:51 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Have you ever gone into a building and seen a fire extinguisher lying flat on it's side???

Tue Apr 28, 2015 1:33 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Tue Apr 28, 2015 3:57 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Yeah, the vibration settles the powder into a solid lump at the bottom of the extinguisher.

Tue Apr 28, 2015 5:02 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

There is a very recent thread over on CB about this, some that have had to use theirs say strongly to go with cleaner types, they seem to think the corrosive powder residue is almost as bad as just letting it burn.

Tue Apr 28, 2015 7:45 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

I don't believe it for a minute! (It packs down when my Bronco goes over bumps! HA!)
You guys believe everything you read? Just ask Zac, I'm with him!

Dry Chemical portable fire extinguishers consist of a powder composed of very small particles, usually sodium bicarbonate-, potassium bicarbonate-, or ammonium phosphate-based with supplements added to provide resistance to packing, resistance to moisture absorption (caking), and proper flow capabilities.

If your fire extinguisher doesn't work, it's because the seals to the nitrogen propellant have dried out and all the gas leaked out, not because the inert dry chemical has compressed. It doesn't compress.

Maybe mount it out of the sun, and not on your Black Hot Roll Bar with the top off... Just sayin?

Tue Apr 28, 2015 11:53 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

I think they're referring more to the act of settling and compacting. Similar to what happens to a bag of quick Crete over time. Except accelerated due to constant vibrations.

FWIW, I never said it wasn't possible. Only that I've seen 20+ year old extinguishers work without issue. And also that an old timer kept one in his truck since the 70's and it worked. I cannot attest to how he might have stored it or in what position.

1972 Sport, 302, 3 speed with old school Duff floor shifter, T shift Dana 20 with JB Fab twin stick, 4.11 gears with Trac-loc, Lincoln hydroboost, Chevy disc conversion, WH gas lift gate shock kit, 33" Duratrac tires on slots and about 2.5" of lift, Stroppe installed: bumper braces, dual shocks on all four corners, GM power steering, trans cooler mount, auto shift column, rollbar.

The Terrible One
1972 Sport uncut, 302, C4 with 1974 column , T shift Dana 20, 3.50 gears w/ limited slip, 1966 U13 Roadster kick panel, and factory power steering.

1973 Stroppe Baja project

Wed Apr 29, 2015 12:15 am

I've worked very closely with a fire contractor at work on the fire extinguisher's. I asked all the important questions like above. Here's my take on it.

Only time they need to be serviced for household/vehicle use is when the gauge says no charge. Only reason building spaces require inspection monthly/yearly is due to fire code. The extinguisher in my 74 has a date of 1970 stamped in it. I brought it in and they said they would not hesitate to use it. As for the contents settling. Yes it does happen. Especially with the older ones. So just make good practice of it to take it out regularly and inspect it. Give it a good shake and tap the bottom some with a rubber hammer. I mean really whats it gonna hurt? Take 5 minutes and make sure that is ready for use before any wheelin trip.

74 Ranger EFI351w, 4r70w, ARB 5.13 9in, ARB 5.13D44, and a bunch of other goodies. Best of all the family memories.

04 Mustang Cobra, KenneBell 2.2 feeding a lot of boost on E85. Tire shredding machine

New project: 77 Bronco Ranger, body work and more body work.

Very little left of a 72 durango tan explorer sport

Wed Apr 29, 2015 6:18 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

This is good info. I think I'll go with the HalGuard as its supposed to be non corrosive and non cleanup. The price really only deterred me if I was going to need to have it serviced annually but a "one-time" cost of $150 isn't bad when you're considering what it'll help you avoid.

Wed Apr 29, 2015 6:57 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Post Which on-board extinguisher system?

Wed Apr 29, 2015 1:01 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Make sure it doesn't come loose until you want it in your hand:

http://classicbroncos.com/forums/showpo ... ostcount=3

Fri May 01, 2015 3:58 pm
Reply to topic   [ 25 posts ]