[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/viewtopic.php on line 1644: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/viewtopic.php on line 1644: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4794: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4796: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4797: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4798: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
www.ColoradoClassicBroncos.com - View topic - Calling wiring gods and gurus
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 3:22 pm

Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 
 Calling wiring gods and gurus 
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Post Calling wiring gods and gurus
I am working on sorting out the issues with Andrews Bronco before I send it off to 29 Palms, the SoCal desert where he be stationed for the next 3 years

I am down to just 2 items, both electrical in nature

#1 - his fuel gauge is not working. I have not even tried to sort this one yet but I am fairly confident that I can

#2 - the 30a fuse that powers the relay for the electric fans keeps popping. Like as soon as I turn the key on it pops. I put new junk yard fans in because the old set, only one side worked. It was fine around here but in the desert where 105* is a normal day, thought I should get them both spinning.

As you know, there is nothing original or stock under the hood. 4.9l inline six runs great, radiator and fans from a 2001 windstar v-6 mini van. Never had issues over heating. Re-wired everything from the front seats forward because he had cut, spliced, taped, zip tied, hacked and chopped dam near every circuit. Landshark was a huge help in that process and of course, Phill was our lead during the original build.

Power is from a key on circuit, fused to a relay that then powers the fans.

Now- if you have any ideas on the fuse issue, or the fuel gauge, I would really appreciate it, but not nearly as much as Drew will

If you are the smartest person in the room -
You are in the wrong room

Wed Jul 29, 2015 8:10 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Post Re: Calling wiring gods and gurus
I was able to work out my fuel gauge pretty easily. Just started at the dash and went from there. Could be a bad sending unit. I might be in the Ranch sometime Friday afternoon.

Wed Jul 29, 2015 9:33 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Did the fuel gauge work at all after the EFI swap?

30 amps sounds too small for dual electric fans.

Wed Jul 29, 2015 9:57 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

If the fans are blowing the instant the circuit gets power, even when the truck is cold, there is a short to ground between the fuse and the relay.

I would scrutinize every inch of wire between those two locations first.

ETA: I agree with Viperwolf, 30amp is smallish for two fans. Are your fans wired through a thermostat switch or are they hot and "on" all the time?

Average 23.5 mpg, Best tank: 25.1 mpg

Wed Jul 29, 2015 9:58 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

The fans are wired to turn on with the key in the on position

So how big a fuse for dual fans? 50a? 60a? There is a 60a relay

Wed Jul 29, 2015 10:06 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Honestly Phil, I'm not sure about the fuel gauge. And Drew is currently doing "field training" so I can't even ask him for another week.

Wed Jul 29, 2015 10:08 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Thu Jul 30, 2015 12:34 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

All wiring between fuse and relay and fan is brand new 10ga.

I will pick up a 60a fuse on my way home tonight and see if that helps.

Thank you guys a ton!

edit: Looks like I will have to switch locations to a maxi fuse from the standard ATO/ATC fuse, I looked online and looks like the largest std fuse I found was 40a. No big deal - I have plenty of room in the fuse box, just means opening it all up again. Not quite as quick a fix. Thanks again.

Thu Jul 30, 2015 6:07 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Yup

As the venerable Viperwolf said....

30a might be a bit small for dual fans

Routed the power wire to an open space maxi fuse, pushed in a 60a maxi and voila

Dual fans running and sucking clean air through the radiator like they were designed to do, better than hoped even. Sat there idling in the driveway for over 40 min, never got over 160* on the after market gauge.

After all that fussin, turns out it was a fairly easy fix.

Now fuel gauge tomorrow, hope it goes as well

Thanks Phil and Digger! Your advice was spot on

Thu Jul 30, 2015 9:18 pm
Reply to topic   [ 9 posts ]