[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/viewtopic.php on line 1644: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/viewtopic.php on line 1644: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4794: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4796: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4797: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4798: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
www.ColoradoClassicBroncos.com - View topic - Emissions Testing questions
It is currently Mon Apr 15, 2024 11:26 pm

Reply to topic  [ 14 posts ] 
 Emissions Testing questions 

Post Emissions Testing questions
My first post. I've got a couple of questions about passing the smog test.

First off, what equipment am I supposed to have for a '77 EB 302? I have an aftermarket intake, no EGR. Some guys have posted that the independent shops (not Air Care Colorado official test stations) don't care too much about aftermarket parts. True, or false, what's been your experience?

If you've used one of the independent shops in the last few years how did it go?
Just for reference the two shops are:
1) Discount Auto Emissions on Federal
2) Econo Emissions on E. Colfax

Thanks for the help.

Wed May 04, 2016 7:45 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Post Re: Emissions Testing questions
You will need a sealed gas cap, catalytic converter, smog pump plumbed into the exhaust before the cat or heads.

True. Go to the independent shops. If you have the three things above and pass the sniffer (tailpipe) test then you should be good to go. Get 5 year plates!

I hear you can get an exception if your bronco has a delivery code from certain cities. Roxcrusher on here knows more about that.

Wed May 04, 2016 8:13 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Howdy Mark and welcome aboard.

Is the rig new to you and Colorado ?

I have a 77 and it all comes down to how your individual Bronco was originally equipped, which was determined by the DSO. The DSO for mine was somewhere in TN which wasn't CA, a big city, or a high altitude destination.

This meant it came with a cat but no air pump. They have a reference book to check what your rig is supposed to have.

I don't think the emission shops specifically look for aftermarket intakes, etc. I think they simply look for the required component (air pump, EGR, cat) for the subject vehicle.

1977 Sport, 351w OBDII EFI motor, 4R70W auto, 4:88 gears, ARB lockers, 3.5" suspension, 33" tires.

Wed May 04, 2016 8:17 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

I wanted to clarify my experience.

I originally went to this really small emissions testing place in Englewood. It was literally a guy with a machine in a single car garage. I thought "no problem", but he failed it because it didn't have a cat or a air pump.

Gave me a card for a guy at Colorado Air's technical inspection location in Highlands Ranch. This guy turned out to be a "car guy" and he liked the Bronco.

He went and researched the DSO and came back with the attached evaluation form. Took him about 20 minutes and he was happy to do it.

DSO was Memphis so I suppose I should find out if Elvis ever owned this beauty.

image.jpeg

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

1977 Sport, 351w OBDII EFI motor, 4R70W auto, 4:88 gears, ARB lockers, 3.5" suspension, 33" tires.

Thu May 05, 2016 5:34 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Sun May 08, 2016 4:48 pm

Thanks for all the help. If anyone has had experience at the two shops let me know. Or are most people going to the Air Care stations?

Sun May 08, 2016 5:51 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Sun May 08, 2016 6:13 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Phil, the affidavit is for 76 and newer vehicles. When i got my plates the lady at the counter showed me the affidavit , then laughed and didn't make me sign it..." How can we prove it" she said...

Sun May 08, 2016 7:43 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Ok, that makes sense.

Sun May 08, 2016 7:53 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

I never signed anything for my 76 stating limited miles either.

Go to the independent shop, avoid the air care if you can.

Sun May 08, 2016 10:24 pm

Will do. Wish me luck.

Thu May 12, 2016 8:11 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

When I went and got my bronco done last year at air care colorado the first round through it failed because believe it or not three guys came over after the original person couldn't find the smog pump and they were crawling around with flashlights looking. I have the 670 truck avenger as well so it didn't pass the sniffer either. I do however have a 4 barrel manifold off a mustang and an egr in the system thats just there for looks to pass. I also have a cat converter, and they did look for it. So in order to pass I had to go home and take the york compressor off and put my smog pump back on and just lay the lines in so it looked like it was attached. This did work. The next round through I did pass the test by the same individual and he was amazed I passed with flying colors. I took my paper and ran before he could ask any more questions. I'll send you a PM with what I did to get mine to pass with flying colors!

Real Estate Agent at Lorin Properties Inc.
Zen@LorinProperties.com (303) 653-1541

Sat May 14, 2016 8:20 am

Thanks for the info and PM. I had the exact same thing happen at Air Care Colorado with a Dakota. Not sure what they were looking for because that vehicle was all stock, but had 3 guys looking all over and talking for 5 minutes. A lot of those guys aren't mechanics though. One guy told me that he never worked on a car in his life just got a job driving them into the lane and then after a few months they bumped him up to inspector. :sad:

Sat May 14, 2016 2:25 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Yeah it's crazy how sometimes they think they know more than they really do. I understand the whole clean air thing and appreciate it, but sometimes the engine runs more clean and much better gas mileage than it does with all the emissions junk on it. Did you do the test yet?

Real Estate Agent at Lorin Properties Inc.
Zen@LorinProperties.com (303) 653-1541

Mon May 16, 2016 10:03 am
Reply to topic   [ 14 posts ]