[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/viewtopic.php on line 1644: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/viewtopic.php on line 1644: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4794: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4796: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4797: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4798: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
www.ColoradoClassicBroncos.com - View topic - 96 Explorer TIming Cover Removal
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 5:55 am

Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
 96 Explorer TIming Cover Removal 

Post 96 Explorer TIming Cover Removal
So the last part of my 96 donor I need to remove is the timing chain cover, I believe these are the 2 bolts that Eck warned my about that always seem to break. My plan for sat is to weld a nut to the stud (never tried this before) heat the block up and try and remove
Has anyone else had happen? and if so how did you remove it.
It seem that the cover should just pop off but I've tried using a rubber mallet I just don't want to ruin this last part.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Fri Jan 13, 2017 9:44 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Post Re: 96 Explorer TIming Cover Removal
I would also try to soak them in something like PB Blaster for a day or so. Welding the nut might work but. Would work better after soaking.

Fri Jan 13, 2017 12:36 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

I have the same issue right now. Only need to get the timing cover off so I can sell the 5.0 block. I got one off using the weld a nut trick. It didn't work for the other side (yet).

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Fri Jan 13, 2017 1:17 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

The covers are available new if you don't want to spend much time on the old ones.

Fri Jan 13, 2017 2:59 pm

Fri Jan 13, 2017 8:28 pm

Mine broke the cover. Had to just buy a new cover and not deal with it. When you reinstall use lots of anti seize on all the bolts.

74 Ranger EFI351w, 4r70w, ARB 5.13 9in, ARB 5.13D44, and a bunch of other goodies. Best of all the family memories.

04 Mustang Cobra, KenneBell 2.2 feeding a lot of boost on E85. Tire shredding machine

New project: 77 Bronco Ranger, body work and more body work.

Very little left of a 72 durango tan explorer sport

Sat Jan 14, 2017 7:57 am

[quote="ZOSO"When you reinstall use lots of anti seize on all the bolts.[/quote]
X2 on the anti seize , welding the nuts on to snap the bolts again. So just because I'm stuburn headed I cut into the block 1/16" behind the cover and then it popped right off.
Both bolts were still complety seized that I needed to put it in a vise to press them out working them back and forth.
Note to self " Never volunteer to change a explorer timing chain!!!

Sat Jan 14, 2017 8:36 pm
Reply to topic   [ 7 posts ]