[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/viewtopic.php on line 1644: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/viewtopic.php on line 1644: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4794: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4796: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4797: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4798: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
www.ColoradoClassicBroncos.com - View topic - PS Cooler - bypass, replace or relocate?
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 4:08 pm

Reply to topic  [ 15 posts ] 
 PS Cooler - bypass, replace or relocate? 
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Post PS Cooler - bypass, replace or relocate?
Working on getting the bronco up and running this weekend. More info here on that: viewtopic.php?f=16&t=9071

As you can see in the image, the PO had installed a PS cooler over the driver-side fresh air duct. I'm not sure how effective that placement is, or if the cooler is needed. I do know that it leaks. When it does, it leaks down the fresh air duct into the cab. I'm looking for suggestions on what to do here. It sounds like I have the F100 PS conversion based on comments in the other thread. And I'm running 33's. Is it a good idea to run a remote cooler like this with tires this size? Any suggestions for a replacement and ideas on where to relocate it so it's not over that duct?

Also, how hard is it to reinstall that transmission position sensor/switch that the PO zip-tied to the PS lines? The column shift was converted to a floor-shift, is it not doable with that setup? It'd be nice to have my reverse lights working...

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Fri Jun 23, 2017 4:14 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Post Re: PS Cooler - bypass, replace or relocate?
That's a big cooler for that application, and not the spot I'd put it in. I'd replace and relocate. I've got a largeish cooler you can have that'd work great mounted to the front of a radiator.

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk

Fri Jun 23, 2017 7:25 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Fri Jun 23, 2017 10:16 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Probably not, but I've also not owned a bronco with an auto.

Sat Jun 24, 2017 12:43 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Mine is located behind the grill but would like to move it to under the front bumper somewhere. It's on my to-do list along with many other things.

Sat Jun 24, 2017 8:10 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

I would replace that and move it, I doubt that it gets much air in that location. I run a cooler for my P/S and its located in front of my radiator. You might want to keep future expansion in mind since there is the potential for running more systems off the P/S. The biggest reason I run a larger cooler is because along with the P/S I am running a PSC external reservoir and hydro-boost.

Sat Jun 24, 2017 8:57 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Sat Jun 24, 2017 5:00 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

If you ever look at a modern diesel truck, they stack p/s coolers, trans coolers, a/c condensers, & an intercooler all in front of the radiator. I wouldn't worry about it. I did read to leave 1" space between.

If you are concerned at all, I'd invest in an air dam like WH sells. Our Broncos allow A LOT of air to pass around the radiator. Modern cars have baffles & seals to funnel the air through the radiator, instead of allowing it to pass around it. The WH dam is a good starting point.

http://www.wildhorses4x4.com/product/SS ... _Radiators

Of course make sure you are running a fan shroud, and a good fan blade(NOT a flexible fan blade). Those seem to be common points of neglect, but make the biggest difference when someone has a cooling issue.

Sat Jun 24, 2017 6:59 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Another option would be to go side by side on the front of the radiator. You can't see it very well in the picture but my P/S cooler is behind the R and D on the grille, its on a Ron Davis radiator. I have seen this same cooler done side by side, one for the trans and one for P/S. On another note don't let my picture fool you, I have no core support.

Sun Jun 25, 2017 9:30 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Post PS Cooler - bypass, replace or relocate?
Like Justin mentioned you don't need a big cooler so I think a small one in front of the radiator will be more than enough. Iam running a stock looking ps cooler on my fender and running hydroboost and Saginaw turning 35's for the last few years with no problems.

Sun Jun 25, 2017 11:21 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

bigger the better in my opinion. Essentially your power steering system is a down scaled hydraulic system. More volume = less heat. Slow speed wheeling, getting airflow is a chore & heat is the enemy. My last bronco (hydro boost & 37's) I ran the biggest trans cooler for my power steering I could get locally. But heck what do I know, I don't even own a Bronco anymore.

Mon Jun 26, 2017 7:26 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

There are many options for a PS cooler. PSC makes an extruded aluminum one that might fit your application better?? But there is a configuration out there that would work fine for you, but I wouldn't eliminate it.

Mon Jun 26, 2017 7:32 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Tom Lee (Lee Power Steering) says that PS fluid should not go over 180°F
Chuck (BC Broncos) says a GM engineer told him 178°F

I don't think the cooler is too big.
I do think it is a really poor place to put it.

In front of the radiator or somewhere on the front of the Bronco, as long as it gets air flow and isn't going to get hit.

Mon Jun 26, 2017 7:43 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Mon Jun 26, 2017 8:53 am

Im running an explorer trans cooler as a power steering cooler.

74 Ranger EFI351w, 4r70w, ARB 5.13 9in, ARB 5.13D44, and a bunch of other goodies. Best of all the family memories.

04 Mustang Cobra, KenneBell 2.2 feeding a lot of boost on E85. Tire shredding machine

New project: 77 Bronco Ranger, body work and more body work.

Very little left of a 72 durango tan explorer sport

Mon Jun 26, 2017 2:15 pm
Reply to topic   [ 15 posts ]