[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/viewtopic.php on line 1644: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/viewtopic.php on line 1644: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4794: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4796: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4797: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4798: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
www.ColoradoClassicBroncos.com - View topic - Holy Cross Wheeling and Camping trip
It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2024 2:16 am

Reply to topic  [ 21 posts ] 
 Holy Cross Wheeling and Camping trip 
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Post Holy Cross Wheeling and Camping trip
I have never run holy cross and really want to run it this year so I'm going to post up here and see if there is any interest to get a small group together to camp near the trail head and run it the next day.

Thinking July 12th-14th but I'm flexible...

I don't know too much about the area for camping but will do a little research

Fri Jun 21, 2013 8:54 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Post Re: Holy Cross Wheeling and Camping trip
I haven't been up there for years. The last time I was up there the mud bog was still open and you had to go through that to get up to Holy Cross. Depending on what time of year it was, you couldn't get through that without winching. It was a lot of fun watching people try to get through though.

Unfortunately, I don't think I can make it this year.

Fri Jun 21, 2013 10:34 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

I'm interested, and was already planning to be in the area to do some scouting for hunting season. Always willing to combine these two passions...

As far as camping, the access road (Homestake Rd) has a fair amount of area next to it where you can dry camp and there is a FS campground (Gold Park) that is on Homestake Rd, very near the bottom of Holy Cross Trail.

I haven't seen any significant mud at the bottom the last few times I was up there, but I haven't generally run the trail till September.
Joe

'81 Coachman Caper XL MH, 4WD, EFI 460/ZF/BW1356, D44/Sterling, 4.10s/35s, under const...
'83 Bronco, D60/Sterling, 5.13/ARBs, MAF EFI 351W/ZF/BW1356, 37" MT/Rs.
'12 Buggy, HPD60, Hi-9, 4.10s, Explorer 5.0, Atlas 4-speed, my chassis, EB skins.
And the latest project is a '99 Ranger Extra-Cab, custom frame/tube work, on 40s...

Wed Jun 26, 2013 7:38 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

awesome, more the merrier have a few planning on going so should be fun.

Wed Jun 26, 2013 9:08 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Sounds fun I'll mention to Jeremy CasaDeJohnson

Fri Jun 28, 2013 6:17 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Mon Jul 01, 2013 9:35 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Our club is planning on being up there that weekend also (July 13-15th). We will be camping somewhere along the road, will probably see "you" on the trail somewhere.

2-1973 Broncos
And a couple even run.....

Mon Jul 01, 2013 4:16 pm
Profile WWW
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Mon Jul 01, 2013 4:27 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

We did this a couple years ago. Camped here: http://tinyurl.com/o3v4bcr. Great location for 5-6 rigs plus trailer and tents. Trick is to get someone up there early to reserve the spot. It was bumpy but easy to get trailers in that far. There was no mud when we ran it.

Tue Jul 02, 2013 8:13 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

JD -

That looks like an awesome camp site. Is there much other wheeling in the area? Perhaps a late summer/very early fall group trip. 3 day weekend kind of thing. Similar to the MWFR without the "official club event" status. Probably would not attract nearly as many folks considering the distance but I for one think it would be AWESOME!

Still trying to get at least one rig running well enough to join on this trip tho. I know the Yota could run it, and who knows about Drew's rig, considering his penchant for the skinny pedal. Yota need a bit of work and is to wide to trailer it out if she breaks - assuming we had a trailer, Drew's rig needs a tune - running like runny poo right now and we need to beat the pan back into shape on the C4 thanks to a vicious Rock a few weeks back. As long as the pan is off, and trans drained - we are going to mount a second - much larger trans cooler somewhere as well.

All that and we are out of town for the 4th the rest of the week - weekend....

If you are the smartest person in the room -
You are in the wrong room

Tue Jul 02, 2013 5:19 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

I could probably make something like that in the late summer or early fall. It would light a fire under me to make some of my needed repairs/upgrades.

Tue Jul 02, 2013 8:53 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Greg, there is a fair amount of wheeling in the area. Several passes nearby, but they are fairly tight and you will get pin stripped. But I got my superduty thru Ptarmigan Pass and regretted all the pin strips! I did not know it was that tight! Also, there is some good trout fishing along the creek running thru Camp Hale, as many other places I am sure. It is a beautiful area and far enough out that the crowds are tolerable.

Click here and zoom into the area North of Leadville. There are a fair amount of trails to keep not-so-extreme rigs busy:
http://www.traildamage.com/google_colorado.php

As for Holy Cross with Drew's rig - I don't know that I would risk it. It's a tough trail that needs a lot of finesse or a very stout rig (often times both). Here are pics from our trip late August 2011: http://s1234.photobucket.com/user/COcra ... t=2&page=1

No one in our group made it look easy. It gave each of us a run for our money a time or two. An awesome trail tho!

Wed Jul 03, 2013 1:54 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

OK would like to get a general head count of those who plan to attend to get an idea of how many rigs to expect.

Info and plans:

I'm leaving early friday morning to secure a site along Homestake Road or if possible at the Gold Park Camp Ground which ever is more appropriate or available.

I'm tent camping and driving the Bronco.
There is a fullsize bronco attending and he will be hauling his pop up camper.

I plan on having some sort of marker for our spot off of Homestake road for those that wish to camp near or with us (will post up what that will be later in the week). If people want to show up later Friday evening I have a couple of glow sticks i can mark along the road where we will be.

I plan on being at the Holy Cross trailhead no later than 8am Saturday morning to start.

You can find info about the Gold Park camp ground here:

For those that are camping, please be aware there is a US Forest service edict about food storage due to bear activity. You can find it here:

**Bear activity has been increasing. For this reason a "food storage order" is in effect at all developed campgrounds on the Eagle/Holy Cross Ranger District, and the Piney Gaurd Station, Tigiwon Lodge, Mount of the Holy Cross Overlook, Homestake Road FSR 703, and Nolan Creek Road. This order requires all food and refuse to be stored in hard-sided vehicles, approved bear-resistant containers, or supended at least 10 feet clear of the ground at all points and four feet horizontally from any supporting tree or pole. This order has been issued to provide for public safety and wildlife conservation. Hopefully it will reduce wildlife habituation problems.

Mon Jul 08, 2013 9:11 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Chris - another thing to look at as the date approaches is fire restrictions. Camping is tough without a fire.

Tue Jul 09, 2013 1:34 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Yup already looked. No restrictions for that county ;)

Tue Jul 09, 2013 8:24 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

That's amazing! Still a fair amount of snow melting or they have gotten more rain??

I just wish you were writing my name on the list...

Tue Jul 09, 2013 9:16 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Tue Jul 09, 2013 9:46 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Not going to make it, the Donkey isn't blowing smoke yet, have fun & take some pics & videos.

Wed Jul 10, 2013 8:48 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

you have two more days :)

Wed Jul 10, 2013 9:06 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Trip report is posted here:

Mon Jul 15, 2013 9:44 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Chris - thanks for the link. I often forget to look in the trip reports area...

Tue Jul 16, 2013 1:15 am
Reply to topic   [ 21 posts ]