[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/viewtopic.php on line 1644: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/viewtopic.php on line 1644: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4794: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4796: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4797: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4798: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
www.ColoradoClassicBroncos.com - View topic - Plasti-dip'd my wheels
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 1:37 pm

Reply to topic  [ 17 posts ] 
 Plasti-dip'd my wheels 

Which looks better?
Aluminum 30%  30%  [ 3 ]
Black 70%  70%  [ 7 ]
Total votes : 10

Plasti-dip'd my wheels 
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Post Plasti-dip'd my wheels
So, in the never ending quest to get the military tires on my truck, I picked up a set of aluminum wheels a few months ago in Denver. They're the shiny finish ones and I would have much preferred black ones. But at the price I paid and considering how hard it seems to be to find 16.5" wheels in a 8x170mm bolt pattern, I picked them up anyway. Made a few calls to some powder coaters to see how much it would cost to get them flat blacked. 25/wheel was pretty much the going rate. Then, two days ago I stumbled across a thread over on Ford Trucks where a guy said he'd used the Plasti-dip coating (same stuff you dip your hand tools into to put a coating on the handles) to paint his wheels. I thought I would give it a shot. And here's what happened.

Here's a side by side of one coated and one not.

And a closer shot of the coated one. I have some runs in the coating but I've only shot it once so far. I think I will get those runs out with more application.

Best part is, if I don't like the coating any more or if it gets damaged and looks like garbage, I can pee it off and reshoot it.

Now I'm wondering what black slots might look like. icon biggin

1972 Sport, 302, 3 speed with old school Duff floor shifter, T shift Dana 20 with JB Fab twin stick, 4.11 gears with Trac-loc, Lincoln hydroboost, Chevy disc conversion, WH gas lift gate shock kit, 33" Duratrac tires on slots and about 2.5" of lift, Stroppe installed: bumper braces, dual shocks on all four corners, GM power steering, trans cooler mount, auto shift column, rollbar.

The Terrible One
1972 Sport uncut, 302, C4 with 1974 column , T shift Dana 20, 3.50 gears w/ limited slip, 1966 U13 Roadster kick panel, and factory power steering.

1973 Stroppe Baja project

Wed Nov 30, 2011 1:03 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Post Re: Plasti-dip'd my wheels
That looks awesome !

1977 Sport, 351w OBDII EFI motor, 4R70W auto, 4:88 gears, ARB lockers, 3.5" suspension, 33" tires.

Wed Nov 30, 2011 3:54 pm
It does look good but how expensive is the plastic?

Wed Nov 30, 2011 4:08 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

If that stuff peels off, would a curb check, car wash, or hitting a rock 4-wheeling peel it off? Powdercoat for $25.00 a wheel seems very reasonable to get a whole new look.

Wed Nov 30, 2011 4:23 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

1972 Sport, 302, 3 speed with old school Duff floor shifter, T shift Dana 20 with JB Fab twin stick, 4.11 gears with Trac-loc, Lincoln hydroboost, Chevy disc conversion, WH gas lift gate shock kit, 33" Duratrac tires on slots and about 2.5" of lift, Stroppe installed: bumper braces, dual shocks on all four corners, GM power steering, trans cooler mount, auto shift column, rollbar.

The Terrible One
1972 Sport uncut, 302, C4 with 1974 column , T shift Dana 20, 3.50 gears w/ limited slip, 1966 U13 Roadster kick panel, and factory power steering.

Wed Nov 30, 2011 5:31 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

The Terrible One

Wed Nov 30, 2011 5:33 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

A video of how easy it is to remove.

The Terrible One

Wed Nov 30, 2011 5:34 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

I wasn't able to see the pics at work behind my firewall for some reason. Now that I can see the pics, they look awesome. Excited to see them with tires mounted on your Bronco.

Wed Nov 30, 2011 6:40 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

If that plastidip came in clear, that would make a great wheel protectant for the winter!!

Can't wait to see them on the truck!

Thu Dec 01, 2011 8:11 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Looks good! You peeked my interest, so I did some searching. Looks like people are having good luck with it even after a year.
The one thing I would be concerned with is doing it before the tires are mounted, seems like the tire will tear it off when you set the bead.

Sat Dec 03, 2011 8:30 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Well, the tire replacements came in. Got them all mounted up today. Now the question is:

Aluminum

or Black?

The Terrible One

Mon Dec 19, 2011 6:02 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Which one do you like. I like them both. Nice part about doing it that way is you can change it when you want.

Spiritual owner of the now Zoso mobile (1974 Bronco Ranger - EFI 351W-4R70W-ARB front and rear-STC softtop- High Country hood-3 1/2" WH lift- Cross inboard rear shock mnt- Duffs bumpers- Warn 8274- 33's- Cheby disc conversion)

Mon Dec 19, 2011 7:08 pm

My problem is everyone does black wheels now. I used to really like them but they are so played out now. But either do look good.

74 Ranger EFI351w, 4r70w, ARB 5.13 9in, ARB 5.13D44, and a bunch of other goodies. Best of all the family memories.

04 Mustang Cobra, KenneBell 2.2 feeding a lot of boost on E85. Tire shredding machine

New project: 77 Bronco Ranger, body work and more body work.

Very little left of a 72 durango tan explorer sport

Mon Dec 19, 2011 8:24 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Both! Tape em off so they alternate on the wheel...

Alum looks too plain, but as zoso said, black is becoming very popular, especially on our tow rigs!

Mon Dec 19, 2011 8:31 pm

Try opposite of most rims. Go black lip and polished center. Try something different.

74 Ranger EFI351w, 4r70w, ARB 5.13 9in, ARB 5.13D44, and a bunch of other goodies. Best of all the family memories.

04 Mustang Cobra, KenneBell 2.2 feeding a lot of boost on E85. Tire shredding machine

New project: 77 Bronco Ranger, body work and more body work.

Very little left of a 72 durango tan explorer sport

Mon Dec 19, 2011 8:49 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

The Terrible One

Mon Dec 19, 2011 10:04 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Tue Dec 20, 2011 4:10 am
Reply to topic   [ 17 posts ]