[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/viewtopic.php on line 1644: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/viewtopic.php on line 1644: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4794: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4796: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4797: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4798: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
www.ColoradoClassicBroncos.com - View topic - Paint and Body - Rocker Panels
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 9:22 am

Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 
 Paint and Body - Rocker Panels 
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Post Paint and Body - Rocker Panels
I’m sure this will sound silly to all the seasoned paint & body guys in the club, but I’m eyeing my next project and want to make sure I know (or at least think I know) what I’m doing. They say a little knowledge is a dangerous thing, right? If you buy into this sentiment then I must be downright hazardous and should probably consider taking up knitting, basket weaving, or something else.

Ok so here’s the deal. I’ve got new inner/outer rocker panels on the way and I know I’ve got to protect them on the inside as well as the outside right? If they go unprotected on the inside, won’t I just end up with the same mess in a couple of years that I’m dealing with now? The sealing/painting will eventually dry out and crack and then I’m back in the same spot I started. The only difference is that I’ll be livid because I didn’t fix it right the first time. So, what’s the best way to think about this task? I read a lot of DYI type repair articles and blogs but do not recall one that addressed how to protect an enclosed and sealed space from future rust and corrosion.

Since the objects of our affliction have a propensity for rot in this area, I feel certain there is plenty of wisdom out there with respect to this issue. Hopefully someone would be willing to enlighten those of us who are less affluent.

Thanks!

Lubr, 3.5"WH, 31x10.50 DuraTrac, 15x8 Slotts

Wed Nov 30, 2011 5:06 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Post Re: Paint and Body - Rocker Panels
You could also coat the inside of the rockers with undercoating or ambercoat (a wax) after the rockers are installed. A body shop supply house should have cans of undercoating that accept a tube on the tip (like brake cleaner, but a much longer tube), drill a couple holes in the inner rockers when you are done & spray away. Then you could go back & put rubber body plugs to fill the holes. If you go this route & need more info, let me know & I'll get you part numbers & manufacturers of what we use.

Wed Nov 30, 2011 6:31 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

i switched mine out and epoxy primer and painted the insides except for the area i welded on , those areas where shot with weld primer . that being said i won't be alive when it rots through again . the first ones took 35 years to rot with fords paint . also i used 3m seam sealer to block water from coming into the front of the rockers , but still left the drain holes . i used over 6 tubes on the whole body to seal in better than ford ever did .

Wed Nov 30, 2011 7:27 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

You could always do what we did....

Cut them off and dont worry about them no more!

If you are the smartest person in the room -
You are in the wrong room

Thu Dec 01, 2011 9:05 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Thanks to all for your responses.

I didn't know if I was just over-thinking things but I do appreciate the feedback. I like Zilla's silver weld-thru suggestion. That and a healthy slathering of seam sealer ought to do the trick. I thought about undercoating the inside but since I'm fighting the battle of removing 40 year old undercoating now, at this point it's hard to imagine putting more back on. Then again, to 777's point, I guess I won't be around to worry about the next time the rockers rust through. The only caveat is that because I'm so poor, my rig is the only inheritance my son can expect. It'll be the "family heirloom" to pass down through generations if I ever get it done. "....it belonged to your crazy old great-great...". HockeyDad, really? no rockers? Might get a little flexy around the door openings, but I'll take it under advisement.

Thanks again!
-Andy

Thu Dec 01, 2011 11:43 am

74 Ranger EFI351w, 4r70w, ARB 5.13 9in, ARB 5.13D44, and a bunch of other goodies. Best of all the family memories.

04 Mustang Cobra, KenneBell 2.2 feeding a lot of boost on E85. Tire shredding machine

New project: 77 Bronco Ranger, body work and more body work.

Very little left of a 72 durango tan explorer sport

Thu Dec 01, 2011 11:56 am
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

You can just weld in some tube. Using 2x6 steel tube to make rock sliders in place of the rocker panels is a common mod.

Thu Dec 01, 2011 2:25 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

If you are the smartest person in the room -
You are in the wrong room

Thu Dec 01, 2011 2:58 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

This one is going to be a resto-mod but I'll keep it in mind for the next one. Wish I'd pulled the trigger on that $1500 project rig on CL a few weeks ago. Would have been a great starting point. Any idea who picked it up? Just curious.

Thu Dec 01, 2011 5:38 pm
Reply to topic   [ 9 posts ]