[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/viewtopic.php on line 1644: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/viewtopic.php on line 1644: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4794: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4796: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4797: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4798: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3855)
www.ColoradoClassicBroncos.com - View topic - 4x4x2 Install
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:57 pm

Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ] 
 4x4x2 Install 
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Post 4x4x2 Install
I'm getting ready to do a 4x4x2 install, but I want to make sure I have my ducks in a row. I ordered the box from Vintage Iron Fabworks, and all the rest of the parts from West Coast Broncos (hoses, adapter plate, u-joint)

My bronco is a 74 with factory power steering, and I ordered the 3/4-36 to 3/4 round u-joint. I'm guessing I just cut off my lower steering shaft at the existing u-joint and weld on the new one? Is the steering shaft going to be long enough, or will I need to lengthen it, shorten it or replace it?

I already have the saginaw pump, so that should bolt right up with the kit hoses, I think. But what about the pitman arm? My Bronco has a 3" lift with a knuckle-over setup using chevy tie rods and DOM tubing connected to a drop pitman arm. It's my understanding that my pitman arm should bolt right up? Also, will the output shaft on the new box hang down the same amount as the stock box?

I hate tearing into something just to find out that I didn't get all the parts I need. Any help/advice you can give is appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

- Gino

Mon Sep 23, 2013 3:46 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Post Re: 4x4x2 Install
It sounds like you're pretty much set, parts-wise. I'd drill and pin/bolt the round side of the u-joint as well as welding it. It's overkill, but if that weld fails it could save your life. A bigish welder is also advised. The steering shaft should be long enough, but I haven't done this personally, so I don't know for sure. You may want to see if you can find a 76/77 lower shaft. They're collapsible, which is both safer and allows you to adjust the length. The downer is that the lower output is 3/4" DD, so you'd need a different u-joint. The pitman arm will bolt right up and the output height should be close. I'm running a stock pitman arm with a trac bar riser and the same steering link setup you've got. The geometry is darn close to perfect.

Mon Sep 23, 2013 5:34 pm
Official CCB Member
Official CCB Member

Post Re: 4x4x2 Install
Have not done this install, but I agree with Justin on the thru-bolt for the shaft. I actually did see one fail but thank goodness is was on a trail at slow speed.

A flat pitman arm puts less stress on the frame and the box, so if the geometry allows, use that.

I ordered my last steering shaft from BC Broncos. It was made custom to what I needed on either end & length.

Tue Sep 24, 2013 8:42 am
Reply to topic   [ 3 posts ]